Sunday, June 12, 2011

HP and the return of the lazy blogger...

Yes...Avery's birthday is in November...and yes...we celebrated it in December...and yes...it is now June...but in the event that I, by some miraculous chance, get around to turning this blog into the scrapbook that I intended it to be I wanted to be sure to document this really fun day! I went all out for this party as it was such a fun theme (and we love our little six year old)! We turned our house into Hogwarts with the front porch representing platform 9&3/4. As the kids were arriving they each got a school schedule...and made bracelets for "charms" class while waiting for friends to arrive. When everyone was gathered...they lined up for diagon alley...When they arrived they had received gold coins to buy their necessary supplies. In Diagon Alley they found HP glasses, wizards robes, a wand, cauldrons, and notebooks with pens for note taking.
After supplies were bought it was on to the Grand Room for Transfiguration. I whispered a creature from HP for them to act out and then the kids were suppose to guess what they had been transformed into. They had a blast doing this. Next it was on to Divination. In this class they each had a few jelly beans in their bowls and they had to guess what flavor they would be and then taste them to see. We used Any Flavored Beans so some were very interesting;) I'm not so sure Divination was one of their favorite classes:)Next it was on to Care of Magical Creatures where Kristian acted(very convincingly I might add) as Hagrid. Each child was given an egg (I made paper mache eggs...each with a "dragon" inside) and they were told all about how to care for their magical dragon egg. I don't have photos of Divination and Hagrid because we had only one parent there to help so we were short on numbers...So next it was on to Potions class. They got to try out several different kinds of "potions" in their cups... Then it was back to the Grand Hall for the Great Feast...I did the sorting hat for the cake and it was one of the easiest cakes yet because it didn't need to be perfect to look good! After eating cake and opening presents they all got to line up to visit Honey Dukes for some sugary fun!It was actually hard not to do more candy cause there were so many fun possiblities. Here are a few of the goodies... It was such a fun party...Avery was in heaven. As I write this 6 months later our six year old is on to the next obsession(Star Wars)...but she still is one amazing kid! She is so sweet and tender hearted. She is very much a pleaser and always wants to do what is right. One of my favorite things about Avery is she is always learning. She has a thirst for knowledge that I can hardly keep up with. She frequently gets out workbooks and does pages on her own just for fun...she walks around with a dictionary and highlights words that interest her...and just today told me with wide eyes that she was under her bed with a flashlight reading in Mark in the New Testament and had the goal of reading all of Mark and John today! She didn't quite make it...but I am sure she will get there soon. She loves to make goals and work toward them. She just saved up $15 for a StarWars watch that she is so proud of! She will often make charts for exercise goals. The other day she did push ups in groups of 10 until she reached 130. But for all the maturity and intelligence beyond her years she is still just a sweet little six year old who is afraid of snakes and most bugs(rolly pollies are now okay:) and loves to snuggle with her daddy. I love this little go getter...she never ceases to amaze me.

3 comments:

Aaron and Mallorie said...

you are amazing at parties!! you will have to help plan Isabel's next birthday party!! it would be fun!! I cant wait for you guys to come!! we are soo excited!! we will be visiting you guys all the time!! so be prepared!

Brady and Brittney said...

Ummm.... amazing! I'm so keeping this as an idea for Audrey some day. I don't care if she's a Harry Potter fan or not, I want to go to this party!

Aunt Kaci said...

I am overwhelmed! My nieces are so big! I cant wait to see you guys!