Friday, April 27, 2007

Just a little trip to the zoo...

Well...today started out pretty good...We all got up and had breakfast, then I took the girls on a little walk around the neighborhood to enjoy the weather while it was still bearable (the forecast says it should hit 90 today and 95 this weekend ahhhhh). We came home and put Fin down for her morning nap and got ready to go to the zoo with Rachel. You have to know that Friday is "Hang out with Rachel day". When we all can, we love to do something fun with our great friend Rachel. Avery thinks she is the best and I would have to agree! Anyway...so then Fin woke up, I called Rachel to let her know we were on our way and packed the girls in the car. Well...I managed to lock the only key we have in the car as I was packing the girls in! I was pretty upset! Luckily we were still in the garage and so it was shaded, but it was still hot...I tried to instruct Avery on how to undo her car seat (dangerous in itself) and looked frantically for a way into the car while I called Kristian. He called the dealer and then the locksmith, who told him that since there were kids in the car we needed to call 911. You know, I am glad that my first time calling 911 was this and not some medical emergency, but it was still pretty nerve racking! A little while later the fire department came and 4 guys worked on each window and one was able to slim jim it open! Thank goodness!! Finley was screaming this whole time and Avery was just sitting there a little nervous, but oblivious to the seriousness of the whole thing! She later told me that it was so nice of those firemen to open her door, but they were a little scary. It was quite the fiasco! Needless to say we will be paying the $250 plus it costs for an extra key! I am so greatful that it happened where it did, when it did...it could have been a lot worse! Anyway...boy it feels good to vent that story...now for the zoo...we had a great time despite the morning events! Here are some pictures! What's that Rachel?
Hold on little sis!
Yes mom...I saw the polar bear...
Finley is less than impressed with the bear-if only she knew what a great feat it is to have a polar bear in Tucson Arizona! Poor bear is all I have to say!
Okay...I guess this is sort of fun mom... Finley and Rachel just kickin back!
If I could just get in there I know those peacocks would let me pet them! (notice the big girl panties!!! Yes...she wears them all the time now and no accidents for about a week! I am soooooo happy!!! She is pretty much there this time I think!! Is it wrong for a mom to point out her daughter's underwear? I'm just so thrilled I can't help myself!)
Avery saw some kids gathering to have lunch on the grass and just had to go and join them. She didn't say a word to us...just matter of factly walked on over and plopped herself down. She loves other kids...especially big kids who will communicate with her! She is not really shy when it comes to kids...she walked up to just about every kid there with food and asked if she could have some (which actually happens everywhere we go...you would think I never feed the child:)...she also walked up to a poor little girl in a stroller who had a binky in her mouth and said..."I'm a big girl...I don't need a binky any more..." Avery thought it was important that she get right up in her face to express her disapproval. Who is her mother anyway?
Does she not look just so Oesterle in this picture?! What a doll!! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This actually happened yesterday morning...mom had to find a new home for the cat food since it didn't take little Fin long to find it! I was in helping Avery with her potty(she still needs mom to help wipe up the poopies but the rest she does all on her own yiippeee!!!) and this is what I found when I came out...it didn't take her long to make quite the mess! That's water all over her...the floor...the carpet...boy did she have fun!

2 comments:

Clawson Family said...

Oh my goodness, Brooke! I would be flipping out also if that happened! I'm so glad you were at your house! I always think that one day I'm going to do that, when I put Arli in her carseat I'll toss the key's on the seat, I should learn from you and remember not to do that! I'm glad you finally made it to the zoo, it looks like the girls really enjoyed themselves. And good job on the potty training! I hear that's quite a feat! I can't wait to see those girls!

Grandma O said...

Oh, Brooke....I remember the time that Sarah was almost a year old. She was just crawling. I had just wrapped the long dead Christmas Tree in an old sheet. I opened the door to drag it out to the curb and I forgot to unlock the door knob. As I dragged the tree out Sarah pushed the door shut and of course the door was locked. Everyone else was gone so she was in the house alone. All other doors were locked too. I was mortified! None of our neighbors were home (at least not the ones who didn't already think I was crazy for having so many children). Luckily Dad was just a couple of blocks away helping some friends with work on their house. I ran as fast as I could, in my slippers, through the yards in the snow and went and grabbed the keys from Dad. I drove back home at record speed and rescued little Sarah, who was still leaning up against the back door wondering where Mom went and had absolutely NO idea that she had been abandoned. This stuff happens with kids...(makes for good stories years later when THEY have their own kids)...I think at certain times in their lives extra guardian angels are assigned to them to protect them from their ditsy parents.....thank goodness! (Not that you are ditsy Brooke.....you're the best :-)